Friday, January 16, 2009

Life Lessons

This post is probably more for me than anyone I just needed to journal my thoughts about this past week. So Craig & I have just endured the week from H E double hockey sticks, if you know what I mean. If my outside looked like my insides I'd be black and blue from the pain. As we are coming out of it I have some thoughts on life lessons. You know that phrase "Whatever doesn't kill ya just makes you that much stronger" that phrase applies to us. We've had a string of bad luck for a while now mostly dealing with the loss of jobs and most recently our Yukon. I love that car, it's my baby. It's nothing anyone would be envious of but it's perfect for me. I am not a minivan type of girl (I mean no disrespect to all those minivan moms out there.) We'll my darling car left us stranded on the highway this past weekend and cost us a pretty penny to repair. With Craig not working right now every little penny counts. I have just returned from St. Pete to pick it up and I had a two hour drive alone (I don't know how I managed that) to contemplate my life. I cried pretty much the entire drive, it was good, therapy. But it all came down to this - this is a season in our life, a life lesson. God hasn't left us, He hasn't forgotten us, He is not punishing me for some horrible sin in my life, in reality He loves me. I talked to my mom on my drive back and she told me of a season in her life, when I was really young, that was similiar to what I am going through now. I think everyone has a season in life when things are hard. God uses those times to bring stuff out of us, so we can help others. This all sounds so cliche as I write it but I know it to be true in my heart.
I'm not a huge country music fan but a song by Carrie Underwood popped into head on the drive back and I think it sums up what I am trying to say. I added it to my playlist.
So I am ending this post with a list, wow, that's something new and unique. I know I am just a list maker it's how I roll!

This is a list of the things in my life that I am thankful for:

1. My car - although not completely whole yet (we still have a few things that need repair on it.) It's running!
2. Our house
3. My husband - My man is faithful and helpful around the house and my he's my best friend!
4. My healthy, happy children! They mean the world to me.
5. My family - My mom & dad, Craig's mom & Dad, Uncle Brant! They are good to us! You are nothing without your family.
6. My friends - I have a handful of friends, a few people in my life that I count on and share life with and for them I am truly thankful.
7. God's provisions - We haven't gone hungry yet. We still have a place to sleep at night.

We would really appreciate your prayers! Please pray that a good, steady job would come along for Craig or me.

7 comments:

lori said...

Sorry about your car, and the bad luck. I wil pray for the right job to come yalls way. It did help to read this though, I have had some devestaing blows this week and just today I told someone it just seems eaiser to drown than fight your way to any sort of hope. But now I have my own list, I guess it really is about spurring one anohter on. so thanks for your honest post

Jeanne said...

Our sweet Lord is especially fond of you! I personally liked the #6on your list. Thanks for letting me love you! Truly, I was surprised at the list thing....you've never done one of those before! :) j/k

Denise said...

Those are good things to be thankful for. I pray God will continue to provide for your family.

Jill said...

If you keep this up you will soon be like an overhead transparency. Thanks for being honest. Oh I do think that tears are purifying. They are salt after all. I do love the list, and provisions come in all wrappers. Sometimes it is a paycheck, sometimes it is a friend. Sometimes it is in a broken-down car so that He can expose His wealth to us. You two, or I should say five, are very special to us, please rest in His promises of Graciousness.

The Light's, party of 4 said...

Thank you for sharing. I've just truly enjoyed your journaling. You are a a very special lady to our "Daddy." He does love you and your family. We are praying for the fabulous Cannon's.

Leslie said...

Must be that kind of week. Life can change in the blink of an eye, whether you are ready or not. I guess it is important we keep God first and he will see us through. We will be praying...

Deborah said...

I had no idea...I am so sorry to hear all that but God WILL provide. And don't forget we're here to help you in any way you need! love you! and we're praying too.