Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Zucchini Cupcakes

We've had an abundance of zucchini from our garden so I made some zucchini cupcakes a few weekends ago for our neighborhood BBQ and they turned out pretty yummy if I do say so myself (plus they've got veggies mixed in - you can't beat that!) What's better than sneaking a few veggies in a cupcake and feeding it to your kids? I thought I'd share the recipe.


Ingredients for the cupcake part:
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 1/3 cups of sugar
  • 1/2 cup of canola oil
  • 1/2 cup of orange juice
  • 1 teaspoon of almond extract
  • 2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 2 teaspoons of baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon of baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon of ground cloves
  • 1 1/2 cups of shredded zucchini

Ingredients for the frosting:

  • 1 cup of dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup of butter
  • 1/4 of milk
  • about 2 cups of powdered sugar

Directions for the cake part:

In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and almond extract. Combine dry ingredients in a separate bowl; gradually add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and mix well. Stir in the shredded zucchini.


Caroline loved licking the batter off the beaters! She even had shreds of zucchini hanging from her nose it was gross but cute!


Then fill your muffin tins (I used the paper liners). Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Let them cool.

Directions for the frosting:

Combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until frosting reaches spreading consistency. Frost cupcakes.


5 comments:

Jeanne said...

Thank you for posting this recipe. We loved us some of Aunt Jenny's zucchini cupcakes. Shoot, Josie even ate the cake part along with her icing. But, I'd rather give you all the ingredients and have you make 'em for me :) Sound good??

lori said...

I do believe Elissa would love those, but I think her only chance of ever getting one is going to be from Mrs. Jenny.

Deborah said...

awww man! that sounds awesome! I love zucchini. I make zucchini bread all the time and LOVE it but zucchini cupcakes might be EVEN BETTER!!! :)

The Light's, party of 4 said...

Yes........the abundance of veggies from the garden can be overwhelming at times. I'm always looking for new recipes and neighbors to give veggies too. Such a blessing to have an abundance, isn't it? I will try this recipe this weekend. Sounds wonderful!

Tifferzz said...

I LOVE the pic of Caroline and the beater! It's soo cute! One braid in, one braid out, and with batter on her face, haha it's so cute! It looks like a picture in a magzine for like, Bounty paper towels or something.. LOVE IT! hehe!